As far as we can figure out, there was no official birthday when David started Luaka Bop, but it was some time in the late 1980s. So we thought maybe this fall would be a good time to celebrate that big 25th anniversary everyone says you should.
Here’s the lowdown:
– From Wednesday, October 1st – Friday, October 3rd, starting at 7pm every day, we will be hosting a series performances and talks at Mmuseumm a kind of modern natural history museum located in an abandoned freight elevator, accessible through an alleyway in TriBeCa (Cortland Alley, b/t Franklin St & White St)). You can read a great piece on the Mmuseumm in the LA Times, here.
– Among many things, we will have Javelin performing out of a car radio, Kings Go Forth’s Andy Noble presenting his special “Soul Field Recordings” project, Janka Nabay singing his three latest or oldest songs,(we don’t really know which), and Delicate Steve & Friends performing “Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall”.
– All the talks and performances will be short and sweet and over before you know it. They will also be happening in the back seat of a 1989 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible, which may or may not have belonged to Jon Voight!
– There will also be things made by David Byrne and you will get to meet the living legend that is Sparkie Martin!
– At 8.30pm every day, we will head to Forlini’s Restaurant (93 Baxter Street, b/t White St & Canal St) for an after party, with nice music and specials on the chicken parm. If you’ve never been to Forlini’s you will love it. It’s one of the last of it’s kind and the staff is great.
– At 9.30pm we go to Winnie’s Bar (104 Bayard St, b/t Baxter St & Mulberry St) around the corner for another after party, with karaoke and more drink specials (we got some amazing singers lined up for you!). Winnie’s place is great and you will love this too! It’s hard to say how late we will be there but if it’s fun we’ll kick it there for a bit.
– All events are free!
Stay tuned as we make additions to the programming here and follow us on instagram for fresh updates 🙂